Are these 5 CRITICAL points on your plant’s new equipment startup checklist? If they’re not, they should be!
As an annual ritual I am compelled to remind pump industry people that 99.35% (approx.) of industrial centrifugal pumps do not arrive ready to run and play – unfortunately this “Plug and Play” pump industry myth continues to persist.
- There is NO OIL in the pump.
- The impeller may or may NOT be set to the proper clearance.
- The driver is NOT aligned to the pump.
- The direction of rotation on the motor has NOT been determined.
- The mechanical seal is NOT set.
If you already know these 5 things and fully understand the significance, then you can stop here. If you don’t know or would like a refresher please read on.